Sunday, September 29, 2013

Have a Heart [Rate]

By now, you all are stepping away like there's no tomorrow with your pedometers.  One step at a time to a healthier life, right?  However, as we discussed in class, a long step is measured no differently than a short step.  A fast step is no different than a slow step.  A muscle-firing low lunge step is no different than a casual stride.  What is missing in this nice and simple measurement of physical activity?  INTENSITY!
Here's what the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention has to say about ways to measure exercise intensity for the general population:
http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/measuring/index.html

You may (or may not) have heard about the Borg Scale Rating of Perceived Exertion (Borg, 1982) and its counterpart, the Modified Borg Scale Rating of Perceived Exertion.  This scale has been used for the past 31 years in research, teaching, and physical activity training sessions as a way for clients, patients, and students to express the level of perceived intensity/work/exertion (aka: how much do you "feel the burn")!?




While the Borg RPE scale has many pros (no cost to use it, most people get the idea of a 1-10 rating scale), the big drawback is clearly the variance of the units from one person to another.  Even with the color-coding and description, what one person might feel as a 7 may look like a 2 to a teacher or trainer.  And conversely, if a trainer says a pace should feel like a 3, the client may not understand his or her body's limits or potential and really be working much harder than they should be.

Before our Wednesday class, I challenge each of you to do a bout of physical activity or exercise and at 3 different points in that bout, note what you are doing and how you perceive your intensity.  (See EMU-Online for specifics on this part of the online assignment).  In your comments below, share what you did and your points of noting your exertion.  Discuss what potential challenges that you could see in using this scale and the issue of variance in the ratings.

Slighly before Borg published his research on the RPE Scale, Polar Electro developed the first wireless heart rate monitor (circa 1977).  Since then, wireless heart rate monitoring has been used by athletes, students, and everyday people to add another layer to the objectivity of physical activity intensity. Our lab this week and class on Monday, 10/7 will be devoted to understanding the basics of how a heart rate monitor works and the benefits/challenges of its usage in a school Physical Education and general PA setting.

Check out the linked (below) insights, options, methods that are out there now in our current society heart rate monitors. Please view and read what is here and think critically on the videos and articles.  Comment a second time on your thoughts to the following questions after you checked out the linked information.  Please mention the specific video/article you're referencing or if you have another video/article present in the common stream of consumer information to share, copy and paste that link in your posting.

a) What do you believe about the accuracy of information presented about HRM available to mainstream society as indicated with this brief array of common examples?

b) How does where are these videos/articles are sourced  from impact the message shared?


c) As a PA professional, how do you think you'd help students, athletes, or your client decipher how to apply HRM in their life despite all of the (sometimes conflicting) information available online or in mainstream society?


General PA and HRM (heart rate monitor) examples

Polar Electro: Why Train with Heart Rate

WVU Basic Target Heart Rate Zone (THRZ) webcast

Orange Method: An Arizona morning show overview of a new group exercise class that (attempts) to incorporate heart rate

Use of HR as a measure of MPA

GetLean12: "Don’t Use These Zones"
http://youtu.be/ugSk0eUrUDI

Heart Rate in School Physical Education

Beth Kirkpatrick 1991 NBC Nightly News Story: HRM in Physical Education

Students w/ heart rate data projected on wall

BVU using HRM in Physical Education Teacher Education

Polar GoFit System in Physical Education

Instant Heart Rate app--no watch or strap needed?





11 comments:

  1. I did my perceived excertion while I was on the stairmaster. When I first started my rate of perceived excertion seem like it was 15 on the Borg scale. I know this was due to my body had not yet adapted to the demands place on it by the exercise. Around 4-5 minutes I was fine because my body had reached a steady state. At about 16 minutes I felt a little tired again about a 14 RPE. Then the last 2 minutes of my 30 minute workout I was breathing faster again about 14 on the RPE scale. Challenges with using this Borg Scale is the individual doing the activity may not understand how hard or easy they are working out

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I think alot of the information may not be accurate because it has not been researched and they never disclose where they get this information. The orange theory video used the polar monitors for the clients but how accurate is the data to back all the information that was displayed of those monitor screens.

    B) The get lean 12 video made some good points that mad me think for a minute. But what are his credientials and where did he get this information. So it didnt make much of an impact on me because of that. If its truth behind what was said, why not publish it in a journal?

    C) My recommendation to students and athletes about heart rate monitors would be use the Karvonen 220 - age because it used by American College of Sports Medicine. Thats why I like the basic target heart rate zone video because it use the basic formula to monitor heart rate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a cardio session at the gym on the stationary bike. Warming up, I was at about a 4, then bumped it up to about a 6 for the main part of my 20 minute ride, then back down to a 4 for my last couple of minutes for a cool down. I then lifted weights after, so it was not the longest cardio session, but still was a good workout for me. I see this scale as a good tool for individuals who are self-motivated, but it would be hard for a teacher to actually track someone's "effort".

    a)The information seems decently accurate to me, it could definitely use more details though.
    b) The videos seem legit and are believable. Creditation always makes everything more believable, but they seemed believable!
    c)To start, I wouldn't critique anyone. Just getting someone to use some type of heart rate monitor is great. Any heart rate monitor is better than not using one at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a 30 min workout on the treadmill and at three different times I used the modified Borg Scale Rating of Perceived Exertion and compared it to my actual heart rate and target zone. I began my run easy and increased the speed throughout the session. After 8 min in the run I did my first check and rated it 3 on the scale. The speed was increased and after 15 min I did my second check. I was breathing a little deeper without any difficulty having a conversation and rated myself 5 on the scale. I increased the speed again and did my final check at 25 min. I was working hard with little discomfort, my breathing was heavy but I could still talk with a sentence and I rated myself at an 8 on the scale. When I compared my actual heart rates they were quite higher than what the RPE rated me. I think using this method only without having a base model obtained by HRM, could prove inaccurate and even dangerous with an older client.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. I think the HRM is accurate with averages and may be less precise on the min and max heart rates. The use of the HRM looked to be motivating in the orange theory video but I don’t know if everyone would want their information on display.

    B. The videos sounded believable but the Get Lean 12 video seemed more gimmicky. He sounded like a guy that has the answer for everyone. He made some good points that might resonate in the fit over forty crowd but could drive others too far as they try to push through the anaerobic piece without proper guidance.

    C. As a PA professional, I would help them understanding the use of the HRM and let them make that decision. I would try giving guidance to separate flash from function but if any gadget helps to motivate, remove some fears, give an edge and keep them active I will support their use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a chest workout in which I did Supersets. I did flat bench first and then right after move to incline dumbbell press, followed by decline chest flys with dumbbells. For the first set I was in about the 4 range. The body was warming up and the weight wasn't terribly heavy. The second set moved up to about a 7 with an increase in weight and fatigue starting. The 3rd and final set was and 8-9 with the muscles being fatigued.

    A. I think the HRM are pretty accurate. I like the idea of the polar HRM which can help coach and analyze you personally, because the average person is unaware of a heart rate of 160 or 125 means to them.

    B. Depending where the video is made it is trying to reach out to certain groups. Overall, most videos seemed authentic and tried to help educate/inform people.

    C. Using HRM can help motivate students or clients. Seeing themselves reach a zone and fighting to stay in it can be motivating and help with gains. They may not be perfect, but getting some real feedback during a workout can be helpful. They also can be tried and if not well liked by client you can stop using it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tuesday is my cardio day. I generally like doing cardio outside but do to rain I moved in indoors onto the treadmill. During my warm up I was at a 5 level and increased it to level 7 for 15 mins of my work out. My body adapted to this level and increased it to level 8 for 5 mins and then moved it to level 9 which was my max and pushed for my final 4 mins then began my cool down. I think this scale is a good tool to use but without a device to track effort teachers and coaches will have a difficult time to telling exactly how many efforts there athletes are really putting out there.
    A) The information given seems accurate to me to an extent there is always room for improvement. I do believe as a coach these can be used as great training tools for my athletes.
    B) The video had some great points and information but he seemed to just be an average Joe speaking. What research did he do and what credentials does he have to making these statements? If he stated what his background was and his credentials or gave credit to where he got the information the video would have had more of an impact on me.
    C) As a coach I would first educate my athletes about the benefits of a HRM. I would try to promote them as a motivation tool and give them guidance to best suites there needs for the maximum results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For my exercise I did a back and leg workout. I took my first rating after my 4 sets of squat and rated myself a 2 on the scale, I was feeling it but wasn't breathing hard or sweating yet. I had done 4 sets of pullups until failure followed by a circuit workout which featured 3 sets of hamstring curls, leg extensions and calf raises. After these I took my second rating and rated myself about a 7, I was sweating but still able to talk and breath. Finally I did a circuit of abs followed by a superset of closegrip rows and lat pull downs. After this superset I was breathing heavily and was still able to talk however my muscles had reached failure by the last set so my final rating for this workout I gave myself a 9.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did my perceived intensity workout during a run. At the beginning of my run I put myself at about a 2 because I was at a slow pace and I felt that I could maintain it comfortably for hours. I then checked again after about a mile and a half and I would put myself at about a 6. I felt that I could maintain this pace, but I was breathing heavier and sweating. My third check of intensity was done at about mile 3, and I felt I was around an 8 because I was breathing heavily and I could speak a few words at a time.
    I feel that this scale is good for a quick estimation of your intensity. With that being said I think that you could climb the intensity scale without actually increasing the intensity of your workout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A) I did not really see much research being presented outside of the GetLean12 video, most of the videos just told you that it was a good method and that working out in the right intensity zones is beneficial. I have to assume that they are presenting some credible info, but I cant be sure.

    B) I feel like if the video comes from an organization or university it is more focused on informing you of how it could help you and how HRMs work. The videos from companies are designed to get you to buy, and they are really just convincing you to buy the product, and not really informing you.

    C) I think that HRMs are a great way to measure your heart rate, obviously, so I would tell them exactly that. I would present them with the scale of intensity and the ideal zones of heart rate that they should be striving for. I would inform them that some media sources may misinform, or leave truths out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A. The HRM information seems to be pretty accurate for the most part, however like the ones we were using it would calculate a step just by shaking it. I really liked that orange fitness video, it seemed like a great workout and having the heart rates displayed is a good idea but like carl said some people might not want that where everyone can see it.
    B. A credible source is always wanted when you're looking for information you can trust. All of these videos seemed like credible sources who knew what they were talking about. The WVU video I can trust because I was a previous student there and the personal trainers at the rec center do know what they are talking about.
    C. As a PA professional I would make the suggestion of using heart rate monitors so they students know that they are in the target zone for the type of benefits they want from their workout. I would recommend the target heart zone of the 220-age from the WVU video to find their target heart range.

    ReplyDelete